Re: [Groff] chess font?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] chess font?
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:13:42 -0500

Gaius Mulley <address@hidden>:
> many thanks for the pointers - have found the chess postscript adobe
> fonts!

When I heard this request, there sprang into my head full-blown a design
for a troff facility that takes sections like this:

.CH
rnbqkbnr
pppppppp
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
PPPPPPPP
RNBQKBNR
.CE

and turns them into chess diagrams.  First I imagined a preprocessor
generating pic, then I realized this could probably be written as a macro
using .tr.

I conclude from this that I've been thinking about Troff too much.