Re: Re: [Groff] Suggested tbl enhancement

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: Re: [Groff] Suggested tbl enhancement
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 23:35:55 -0400

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > It sounds like a good idea, but there are so many potential
> > enhancements that would make tbl easier to live with that it's
> > almost worth a rewrite.
>
> Hmm, can you post a TODO, please?

My short list is primarily cosmetic (the goal is to require a minimal
amount of primitive markup) and there are workarounds to most of
them.

1 HTML support (would probably require changes to the groff wrapper
to pass a command-line option to tbl for -Thtml)
2) Global point size option
3) Rotate option for -Tps (a built-in version of http://
www.port.de/cgi-bin/groff/RotateTables more or less)
4) Conditional global options and formats - if you're using the same info
in a different document, for example

> Additionally, I ask you to further test Joachim's `HDtbl' package
>
>   ftp://ftp.uni-heidelberg.de/pub/HDtbl/0.91

The introduction is here, if anyone wants to see what it's doing:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2005-12/msg00003.html

> I'm going to include this soon (after I've released a new FreeType
> version).

Hmmmm.... looks like two of those pesky TrueType hinting patents are
going to expire on Monday. Is that the reason for the new version?

-- Larry