[Groff] Re: How to make EPS?

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: How to make EPS?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:27:08 +0300 (MSK)

Dear All,

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, walter harms wrote:

is the usage of gs an option ?
it has program called ps2epsi.

Michail Vidiassov wrote:

can somebody, please, provide me with a working set of commands
to make a EPS file with groff?
Yes, I did read the FM, but the commands mentioned there did not work for me.
Do they work for you?

Walter, thank you for advice, but:

I do know about gs.
I do use it.
I have used the set of commandes from grops(1).
I do have problems.
I was looking for a set of commands working for someone.

Let us do it another way.
Please, try the attached script in your envirnment
and report success/failure.

In my case I have encountered the following problems:

0) Typo in grops (1)
   It tells:
   Encapsulated PostScript
       grops itself doesn't emit bounding box information.  With the  help  of
       GhostScript the following commands will produce an encapsulated PS file
       foo.eps from input file foo:

              groff -P-b16 foo > foo.ps
              gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bbox -- foo.ps 2> foo.bbox
              cat foo.ps | sed -e '/%%Orientation/rfoo.bbx' > foo.eps
              rm foo.bbx

    I think the second command must have its stderr sent to
     foo.bbx, not foo.bbox.
    The address in sed may by improved by adding start-of-line maker:
    /^%%Orientation/

1)  If small page size is set with -P-p2i,2i command-line switch for groff,
    pdf file produced by gs from the resulting eps file is not
    2in x 2in, but full letter-size page
    (see foo_small.eps, foo_small.pdf, full_small.txt in the attached archive).

2) If ps2epsi is used, bounding box seems to be too small.
   See foo.epsi, foo_i.pdf, foo_i.png in the attached archive -
   something is cut off the bottom of the glyphs.

           Sincerely, Michail