Re: [Groff] SGR

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] SGR
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:31:51 -0500

On 10/18/05, D. E. Evans wrote:
> Before adding a note to the PROBLEMS file, does anyone know of
> other platforms that would require a reconfiguration of man?
> SunOS?  OpenServer?  The other BSDs?

Basically, every Unix with a "more" that cannot manage ANSI escapes
(most more programs, particularly if they are SYSVR4 more can). On
Linux, most distros that use "less" in the clothes of "more" have
accomodated themselves to the situation by now hacking either the
LESSOPTS environment variable or man's configuration file (thatn would
be the *other* man).

I knew making SGR the default would bite back with a vengeance sooner
or later; it was later alright. My mind is at ease on this matter, I
kicked and screamed when it was proper to do so and no one listened
:-). Check the mailing list archives for the historical records.

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
troff spoken here