Re: [Groff] Introduction

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:05:41 +0200 (CEST)

>    Please do so!  For testing and educational purposes, the web site
>    is directly created by groff from `webpage.ms' (and `groff.css').
>
> I wonder if this is on the ffii site, not gnu.org.  Is the gnu.org
> page (at /software/groff) a mirror of the ffii site?

For simplicity, they are the same.

> If so, is seperate access needed?

What exactly do you mean?  My working cycle is

  . Wait until a new release is ready.

  . Go through the ChangeLog file and update the NEWS file where
    necessary.

  . Copy the new stuff from NEWS to webpage.ms and adjust it to be
    valid groff code.

  . Say `make' to generate `webpage.html'.

  . Copy `webpage.html' to gnu.org,  manually adjust the links to the
    two images, then replace the old with the new version by renaming
    it to `groff.html'.

  . Copy `groff.html' to ffii.org.

Of course this could be automated somehow, but I was too lazy to do
that.

> However, I think a better idea would be to do it through the
> configure script.  Did I overlook an option already present?

What shall the *groff* configure script do?  Shouldn't this be rather
something in the *man* configure script?

>    Only a non-asked question is a dumb question.
>
> Well, this is debatable.  Where documentation is already present,
> asking without reading could be considered dumb.  Then again, we all
> overlook things in our readings, and it doesn't take too long to
> refer others back to the manual.

It *very* often happens that in spite of zillions of documents, you
don't find the right one.  Asking is always fine, even if you get a
reply such as `Please read this and that'.  Insisting then without
reading: This is dumb, and in such cases you normally get a harsh
answer, and right so.