Re: [Groff] Introduction

From: D. E. Evans
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:16:59 -0600 (MDT)

   welcome to the world of groff.

Thank you.

   > I have just been made a developer of the groff project to assist
   > with your documentation, and with the texinfo manual, (and perhaps
   > your website?).

   Please do so!  For testing and educational purposes, the web site is
   directly created by groff from `webpage.ms' (and `groff.css').

I wonder if this is on the ffii site, not gnu.org.  Is the
gnu.org page (at /software/groff) a mirror of the ffii site?  If
so, is seperate access needed?

   > [...] I purposely wanted to see the havic it would cause, and how
   > groff handled under OpenBSD, considering its particular
   > configurations, and that was the one problem (the escape sequences
   > with the manual) that I didn't seem able to configure with groff at
   > compile time, (though I wouldn't be surprised that I overlooked
   > something).

   Everything's fine now?

The suggestion of using more to read it was a decent solution.
However, I think a better idea would be to do it through the
configure script.  Did I overlook an option already present?

As for OpenBSD, I think that the best option for keeping things
up to date would be to present a port to one of their port
maintainers, so that the current version of groff (with texinfo,
if not the other packages listed on the website, as dependencies)
is available.  If I get some time, I'll put the port together.

   Only a non-asked question is a dumb question.

Well, this is debatable.  Where documentation is already present,
asking without reading could be considered dumb.  Then again, we
all overlook things in our readings, and it doesn't take too long
to refer others back to the manual.

   It might be a good idea to read the groff texinfo manual and noting
   all passages which aren't clear by the first reading.  Since I'm
   Austrian, I tend to write too long sentences, as all German speaker
   normally do...

I've already given the various documentation a quick read through, and
think that things are actually looking fairly good so far.  I'll
go through them with a fine toothed comb, and update the current docs
before I begin to add more.