Re: [Groff] Re: Effective manpages, a couple of thoughts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Effective manpages, a couple of thoughts
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:49:43 +0200 (CEST)

> I generally agree with Meg's perspective that the concise, general
> material be up front and more detail in subsequent sections.
> However, my idea of a short man page for, e.g., groff is:
>
> groff --help
>
> I don't generally consult a man page unless I need the details of
> an option.

In 1.19 (and some earlier versions), `man groff' gives you a short
description what groff is, then all command line options are
described, then some details are explained (front ends, preprocessors,
macro packages, etc.), with references to the relevant man pages.
Finally, environment variables and relevant files are described,
followed by some examples.  I think it is pretty good.