Re: [Groff] pound sign and mom letters

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Groff] pound sign and mom letters
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:25:58 +0000

On 2004-02-20 16:28:28 +0000 Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

IOW, mom doesn't currently provide a better solution to your
problem.

OK.

The order and placement of mom's letter headers follow a fairly
common convention for business correspondence (at least, common
in this neck of the woods), namely: date, top-right; addressee,
flush left; addresser, flush left.  For the moment, that's carved in
stone.

That's different positioning and totally the opposite order to England: sender address top-right, then addressee flush left, then date flush right. Otherwise, it looks rather like you've just opened a letter from yourself and the addressee never lines up with window envelopes. If it's on letterhead, the addresser block is missed out.

    a) the freedom to input the various header fields in any order
       you like, and have mom output them in the same order
    b) the ability to override the default quad direction of any of
       those fields

That would cover it, but .rj and .nf can do it anyway, so is it worth fixing? I wonder what other regions do...

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden