Re: [Groff] Resolving Forward References

From: Andrew J. Piziali
Subject: Re: [Groff] Resolving Forward References
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:18:48 -0600 (CST)

Ralph, you wrote:

    To automate this a little more you can define run1 on the command
    line using `-rrun1=...' which avoids altering the source file and do
    the two runs of groff from your makefile or similar.

That's exactly what I've got for the moment:

    $ cat Makfile
    .ms.ps:
            groff -rFormatterPass=1 -e -p -t -ms -Tps -U $< >/dev/null
            sed '/ACRONYM_OFF/!s/[A-Z]\{3,\}/\\s-1&\\s0/g' $< | \
              groff -rFormatterPass=2 -e -p -t -ms -Tps -U >$@

I use the sed script to de-emphasize acronyms by reducing their point
size by one.  Under some circumstances, that is not desirable so the
user can place "ACRONYM_OFF" on the line to prevent substitution.

By the way, did you see my earlier question about preventing font size
changes for section headings from inadvertently changing the font size
of headers and footers?

Thanks.

--

                                                       / \