Re: [Groff] Resolving Forward References

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: Re: [Groff] Resolving Forward References
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 01:17:03 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Andrew J. Piziali wrote:

> I hadn't even considered manually running both passes and using a
> temporary file.  Should I just dispose of the formatter output on the
> first pass?  In other words, I would use the command pair:
>
>         groff -rFirstPass=1 -e -p -t -ms -Tps doc.ms >/dev/null
>         groff -rFirstPass=0 -e -p -t -ms -Tps doc.ms >doc.ps

The groff -z option will suppress output if so needed, but it can
sometimes be useful to store the output from the first pass in case things
don't go as planned (for debugging purposes). You will also neeed the -U
command-line option (for newer versions of groff) to enable the .open
request.

Christian Jensen