[Groff] How to create updates for revised edition of book?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey
Subject: [Groff] How to create updates for revised edition of book?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:01:58 +0930

I'm currently preparing for a revised printing of my book "The
Complete FreeBSD" (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cfreebsd/desc.html),
and that after less than two months.  That should be good, but the
problem is that O'Reilly want only changed pages.  I've been wondering
how best to do that.

My current approach is pretty manual: I run diffs on the sources, find
the corresponding pages in the PostScript output, and use Emacs to
remove the rest.  I'm left with the feeling that there must be a
better way.

One obstacle to automatic comparison is the markup outside the print
area, which includes the title, chapter name, and most importantly the
format date--see the attachment.  If anybody has some good ideas about
how to approach this, I'd be grateful.  FWIW, they want page pairs
(both sides of the page).

Greg
--
Finger address@hidden for PGP public key