Re: [Groff] Problem with diversion

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problem with diversion
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:37:30 -0500

At 11:23 a.m. 25/04/2003, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
This might be a nice idea to position groff users in the modern
software world -- it sounds similar to `troglodyte' which AFAIK is a
group of extinct animals :-)

My apologies, but the profesional biologist/amateur social anthropologist/"pedantic academic" mode has kicked in ;-). First I am right at home using troff :-).

But, I think you mean Megatherion[1]? a troglodyte is/was a member of a group of herding tribes in Mauritania, Northern Africa and the coasts of the Red Sea, both in Erithrea and Egypt, that would live in caves and eat only what their herds would produce and dress in skins. I guess the association with paleolithic, biologically primitive, humans could only have made by a XIX century European explorer[2] wandering in the desert in search of the fabulous treasures of the Queen of Saba.

[1] Being a humongous extinct leaf-chewing mammal, the comparison is more appropriate than to a mondo bipedal lizard, but I rather I'm a sabertooth at heart, meow, meow. ;-) [that was for Flintstones fans :)]

[2] The Masai, who live in the Southern outskirts of the Kalahari have a wise saying: "There are only two wild beasts who would dare to walk under the sun at noon: a hyena with rabies and an Englishman".