Re: [Groff] widow/orphan control?

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] widow/orphan control?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:37:35 -0500 (EST)

Ken Deen writes:

> How do I accomplish widow/orphan control in groff (I'm using -me macros)?

Widow control is easy, just put a ".ne 2v" before every paragraph (of
course, you would do that inside your "paragraph" macro, not explicitly
in your source).  Orphan control is much trickier -- the only way I know
to do it is to format each paragraph into a diversion and then compare
the resulting length of the diversion to the distance to the next trap
and adjust the trap location if necessary.

-Larry Jones

It's either spectacular, unbelievable success, or crushing, hopeless
defeat!  There is no middle ground! -- Calvin