Re: [Groff] troff syntax and useability

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] troff syntax and useability
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:43:00 -0400

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002, Rob Scovell wrote:
> In a more humble way, this is what WordPerfect offered to the word
> processing world with its 'reveal codes' feature.

Yeah, more or less.  But I found the implementation incredibly awkward.
Haven't used WP for years.

> It is a great pity that it languishes behind Word in general
> popularity.

I have a magazine editor friend, who's a writer, too.  She knows her
stuff, and swears by WP.

> On this subject, it would be fantastic if FrameMaker could have
> something like this, perhaps based on MIF.
>
> Or even further into the realm of fantasy ... Frame with embeddable
> troff, with the troff part able to pick up Frame variables. That would
> be great for generating interesting running heads.

Why should something like this be fantasy?  It's a terrific idea.

--
PTPi
Peter Schaffter

A confirmed GNU/Linuxer. Sorry, I don't do Windows.