Re: [Groff] troff syntax and useability

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] troff syntax and useability
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:50:31 -0400

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002, Larry Kollar wrote:
> Aha. You know, certainly, that troff was written to drive a 1970s
> vintage phototypesetter. Some of troff's funky features were a
> direct result of that. For example, the C/A/T supported type sizes
> from 4 to 39 points,

4 to 39?  Wow!  The first typesetting computer I met (a Quadritek)
could only do 5-1/2 to 36 point.  We had to do PMTs (photomechanical
transfers, for those who don't know the graphics biz) to get type
smaller or larger than that.  Except for the Univers family.  For some
reason, it went down to 4 point.  Man, those were definitely NOT the
days!

--
PTPi
Peter Schaffter

A confirmed GNU/Linuxer. Sorry, I don't do Windows.