Re: [Groff] Re: new grotty format

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: new grotty format
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:06:45 -0400

Colin Watson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd like to disable the SGR escapes for grotty ...
> until they can be fixed, in an pre-emptive attempt to stem the
> tide of bug reports. ...
>
> I like the colour output, and am tempted to say "push it out to everyone
> as fast as possible", but it just isn't worth it yet when the support is
> so limited.

Could SGR be added as a runtime option (with the default the
way it is currently) for those who want it?  Or, alternatively,
could separate grotty & grosgr postprocessors be created?
People who want SGR escapes now & don't care about the older
method could do something like:

        rm grotty; ln -s grosgr grotty

Having both available, and "officially" deprecating grotty,
might prompt maintainers of pagers etc. to convert over.

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the