Re: [Groff] Re: new grotty format

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: new grotty format
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:02:20 +0100

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:05:34AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 07:34:59AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > grotty also has a `-c' switch to disable SGR.  So you can say
> >
> >   groff -Tascii -P-c ...
> >
> > Is this what you need?
>
> I noticed that, but unfortunately this would require modifying man, and
> would break with older versions of groff.
>
> I'm really looking for something that can go in a configuration file, I
> think.

I put together a patch to grotty to allow the device control command
\X'sgr:0' to disable SGR output, which would allow this to be controlled
on a system-wide basis by man.local and mdoc.local. Unfortunately,
putting \X'sgr:0'\c in man.local appears to cause an extra couple of
line breaks just after the first page header, which is quite noticeable;
I haven't been able to find a piece of troff that will just embed 'x X
sgr:0' into the ditroff output without any surrounding motions.

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden