Re: [Groff] Musings on the adding of fonts

From: P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Musings on the adding of fonts
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 08:27:00 -0500

At 02:17 a.m. 28/02/2002 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >This is not correct.  ttf2afm is part of pdftex.
>
> Is it? I remember having seen in the contrib directory of freetype
> 1.x.

You are probably mixing this up with ttf2tfm...

Quite probably.

> While not as good at low resolution, type1 hinting is easier to fix
> (can be done by hand with a dissasembler!!!), if using anti-aliasing
> can give better results on screen that a TrueType of similar quality
> and at high resolution output, the rasterization is not only faster
> but faster, as the rendering takes less memory.
        ^^^^^
I meant smaller. I'm already a candidate for geriatric treatment or so it seems. :)

Try FreeType's demo programs, don't activate the hinting interpreter
(and disable autohinting also), and try anti-aliasing.  Even bad TT
fonts will improve significantly.  This effect is not restricted to
Type 1 fonts.

I tried them just now and you are correct. Now, I need a tool to change the GASP table (or add one) in the fonts I'm interested in using. Hmmmm... This has become too off-topic.

Now, if some one can direct me to a tool to create Type42 wrapped TrueType fonts that works under win32 we can justify it. (And I do need one!).

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/