Re: [Groff] Suppress output (+ -me questions)

From: ralph
Subject: Re: [Groff] Suppress output (+ -me questions)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:01:06 +0000

Hi Christian,

> 1) Is it possible to turn on (and off) printing of output from within
> a document?

Not that I can readily think of.

> For example I would like to be able to print only an index (table of
> contents) for later inclusion (automatically) into the main document.
>
> Alternatively, can a section of the document be redirected to a
> different file?

troff's -o option outputs only the given pages.

Alternatively, if printing to PostScript you can use psselect to pick
the table of contents from the whole document.

You can print the table of contents at the end of the main document and
use psutils to juggle the page order prior to printing.

Or, as yet another option, have the TOC at the start of the document
and use an auxilliary file to keep track of page number for the TOC,
updating them in multiple passes over the document.

Cheers,

Ralph.