Re: [Groff] Suppress output (+ -me questions)

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: Re: [Groff] Suppress output (+ -me questions)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:20:22 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 address@hidden wrote:

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your comments.

> troff's -o option outputs only the given pages.

Yes, but then you need to know which pages to print in beforehand.

> Alternatively, if printing to PostScript you can use psselect to pick
> the table of contents from the whole document.

I was/am considering that option too. But again, you need to do that
manually.

> Or, as yet another option, have the TOC at the start of the document
> and use an auxilliary file to keep track of page number for the TOC,
> updating them in multiple passes over the document.

Yes, this is what I would like to do, since I am already running two
passes to cover cross-referincing. I am not sure how this is to be done,
though. And when I collect the toc-entries I set some formatting options
(font, size, indentation) which I would like to preserve.

As an example I have defined the .$0 macro which is (by default) called
from .sh:

  .\" Define macros to generate index from .sh and .+c entries
  .de $0
  .\" -- Set font in section headings (disabled)
  .ie \\$3<2 \{\
  .     nr PF 3\}
  .el .nr PF 1
  .(x
  .ti \\$3
  \\f\\n(PF \\$2 \\$1\\f1
  .)x
  ..

What would I need to do to store the relevant information in a separate
file (and retrieve it again)?

Christian