Re: [Groff] a .text macro

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] a .text macro
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:03:46 +0100 (CET)

> To define a macro that allways outputs its arguments as text another
> syntactical sugar must be added.  In the .text macro this is the
> additional `\{\}' argument.

`\)' is better.  This does produce a token, while `\{\}' vanishes
completely.  Consider the following:

  .de text
  .  nop \{\}\\$*
  ..
  .
  .di test
  This is a test
  .br
  .text ...
  Well, let's see whether it works as expected.
  .br
  .di
  .asciify test
  .
  .nf
  .test

I admit this is an artificial example, and you shouldn't use .asciify
anyway.  Note that in some older packages it is common to copy a
one-line diversion into a string (the .box mechanism is a recent
addition of groff); you will get similar problems.