[Groff] Euro symbol in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Euro symbol in groff
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 06:37:54 +0100 (CET)

I'm going to add the Euro symbol to groff -- currently, this will be
rudimentary only since I don't want to add new character sets [this is
up to distributions :-)].

My idea is to have two symbols: `Eu' and `eu'.  The former is the
symbol in the `official' design; it should be part of a special font
so that it is available identically for all fonts.  The latter denotes
a font specific variant.

I think you all can agree with this.

Now the nasty details.  For TTY devices, I'll add it to utf8 and HTML;
distributions will then probably add the latin9 character set anyway,
making it the default -- this isn't an issue IMHO.  Of course, \(eu =
\(Eu on TTYs.

For PS, I'm not really sure how to proceed.  Adobe offers freely
available PS fonts containing the Euro symbol.  Due to copyright
restrictions I can't add it to the groff package.  Is there an
alternative?  Regardless of the copyright, we have to solve this
problem.

I know of three solutions; the first and second is contained in

  http://ftp.atcomputing.nl/tools/printen/euro/groff-europatch-2.6.tgz

written by address@hidden (according to the homepage, I believe
this is Hendrik-Jan Thomassen); the third has been sent to the
bug-groff mailing list by Michael Haardt <address@hidden> about two
years ago (see below).

The second and third solution are rather similar and light-weight but
incomplete, while Hendrik-Jan's first patch is complete but quite
massive.

I'm not happy with any of them, so I suggest another approach which
is light-weight and complete IMHO.

Let's assume that we have fonts Euro-Serif-* and Euro-SansSerif-* for
\(eu and Euro-Official for \(Eu.  We set them up in the usual way,
i.e., running afmtodit on the font files and adding them to the
`download' file.  To connect the Euro fonts with the default fonts,
the .fspecial request is used:

  .fspecial TR Euro-Serif
  .fspecial TB Euro-Serif-Bold
  .fspecial HR Euro-SansSerif
  .fspecial HB Euro-SansSerif-Bold

This is done for all fonts from devps.

Finally, the font for \(Eu is added as a special font globally:

  .special Euro-Official

Comments please.