Re: [Groff] -mm incompatibility with troff

From: Andrew Koenig
Subject: Re: [Groff] -mm incompatibility with troff
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:30:45 -0400 (EDT)

Larry> The first difference is just different default values for the HF string.
Larry> groff matches my mm documentation in making the default value "2 2 2 2 2
Larry> 2 2", but my AT&T mm macros (which claim to be 1.3 - 89/08/31) make the
Larry> default "3 3 2 2 2 2 2", which probably matches what you have.  My
Larry> experience is that most serious documents set it explicitly, so I'm not
Larry> sure the default value is very important.

Yes, the default value on mine is 3 3 2 2 2 2.   I agree it isn't vitally
important, but I would think it would be better for the default to be the
same on troff and groff.

Larry> The second difference is more interesting; I'm guessing it's a bug in
Larry> .SP, but I'd have to do some digging to be sure.

Incidentally, it happens with .H also, not just .HU.