Re: [Groff] I need help again - couldn't find the problem with EQ

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] I need help again - couldn't find the problem with EQ
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:53:18 +0100

Hi,

WRT your grap errors.

groff's grap (I know it isn't part of groff but the freely available
one that people use with it) is complaining because the grap input
doesn't match the grammar in the man page.  It seems that the original
grap (based on Plan 9's source) accepts, for example, the grid
attributes in any order where as groff grap wants them as defined in
the man page (it's yacc grammar dictates this).

I'd guess this is because Bentley's(?) paper on grap suggested a more
restricted grammar than the code actually allowed and the implementor
of the new grap followed the paper's grammar.

They're trivial changes.

    % diff 26.bad 26.fixed
    874c874
    < frame top invis right invis ht 2.75 wid 4
    ---
    > frame ht 2.75 wid 4 top invis right invis
    882,883c882,883
    < grid dotted bot from .108 to .392 by .1 " "
    < grid dotted left from -2 to 3 by 1. " "
    ---
    > grid bot dotted from .108 to .392 by .1 " "
    > grid left dotted from -2 to 3 by 1. " "

Ralph.