Re: [Groff] Naming and position of *.man in the groff sources

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Naming and position of *.man in the groff sources
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 07:35:22 +0000 (GMT)

> 1) There are many man-page in the groff sources distributed all over the
> ./src tree.  I propose to move all of these into a single directory,
> either ./doc or ./doc/man - except for the ./contrib files.

What are the advantages of this scheme?  It makes only sense if you
plan to edit all man pages simultaneously.  But in this case, just
create a new directory and make soft links to the original man pages.
Perhaps you can add a Makefile target `collect-doc' or something like
that to do that automatically.

> 2) The man-page source files are actually named
>           <name>.man
> and then make'd into
>           <name>.<section>.
> But now there are man-page with the same name from different sections,
> e.g. groff(1) and groff(7).  A possible solution to this problem would
> be to rename the man source files to
>           <name>.<section>.man.

This is a nice idea which I support.  You are invited to modify the
Makefiles accordingly.