RE: [Groff] \(bs escape sequence

From: Freudenberger Joerg
Subject: RE: [Groff] \(bs escape sequence
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:12:39 +0200

> The special character \(bs is not implemented in groff.
>
> In the 1st ed. of Bourne - The UNIX system, it is displayed as a
> large circle with something like a bell inside (bell sign?),
> but in the
> Kernighan reference it looks like a black full moon (large
> bullet sign).

AFAIK this sequence supports the graphical reprasentation of
the trademark, which was being valid in that past.

At the beginning of UNIX live this was a circle with a bell enclosed
-- the good old bell trademark.

At the time the Bell Labs became the AT&T UNIX System Laboratories it
was changed to the new AT&T symbol. I read in some of the Unix histories,
that somebody had ironically compared this logo with the
Star War's Death Star (of the famous Lucas Art film).

I hardly remember that I read in a troff Introduction that is discouraged
to use this sequence because in some *nix licencees had replaced the
reprasentation in some inconsequent way in their packages.

Jörg Freudenberger