[Groff] new grohtml: \# and .URLs.

From: Eddie Maddox
Subject: [Groff] new grohtml: \# and .URLs.
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:19:56 -0500 (EST)

> .\"  set a longer line than the default as we have some long ftp addresses
> .\"  which groff cannot split
> .\"
  \# <-- for all comments of this kind.

Groff doc says \# is newer and better. Better yet, it works. I tried it.

> Can Groff support splitting .URLs onto multiple lines?:
>
> .URL "download snapshots from this here URL right here"
> ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/devel/groff-current.tar.gz

.URL "download snapshots" \
ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/devel/groff-current.tar.gz

Works.

Gaius, please do the Windows .URL this way, too.

.URL "Groff for Windows" \
"<that whole URL goes here>"  (Works without the quotes, too.)

All the .URLs near the Windows one demonstrate most every combination of
using and not using quotes. None demonstrate using multiple lines.
The Windows .URL is perfect for that.

Eddie Maddox
address@hidden