Re: [Groff] groff -man -Thtml ???

From: Matti Aarnio
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff -man -Thtml ???
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 02:06:30 +0200

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 10:35:48PM +0000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >     groff -man -Thtml manpage.1 > manpage.1.html
> >
> > Quite nice - except that  .TH  does not affect anything.
> > (Should go to HTML title, and for a <H1> header, of course..)
> > (And that the .SH index starts the page...)
>
> This is probably still a bug -- the title isn't found correctly.
>
> > Essentially I would like to see the result to look very much alike
> > the ASCII rendered man-page.
>
> What exactly do you mean?

Similar outlook of text when I do any of:

- man -s 1 manpage
- groff -man -Tps manpage.1 | lpr
- groff -man -Thtml manpage.1 > manpage.1.html
  lynx manpage.1.html
  netscape manpage.1.html

I don't expect things to be identical, but where 'man' makes
indented regions nice (and -Tps too), same doesn't happen
with  -Thtml.   (Oh yes, and troff  should not do hyphenation
and cutting of the words for linebreaking, because the browser
is going to do that anyway..)

One of the things is that where -Tps (and -Tascii behind 'man')
puts <H2> type intermediate headers (.SH) to the left edge, and
indents all text there after a bit, same doesn't happen at -Thtml.

I am not HTML proficient myself, but there was some way to do
block indention without doing tables ?

Only sometimes doing  .IP  lines there might be sense at man-page
to use tables instead of these indenting blocks.
(I don't use .TBL macroes myself at my man-pages, so I can't say
 what they would do..)

>     Werner

/Matti Aarnio