Re: [Groff] groff -man -Thtml ???

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff -man -Thtml ???
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 23:14:26 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Matti Aarnio (address@hidden) writes:

> The overall problem, of course, is that the source I use is
> man-page roff stuff, and I can't throw there anything magic
> needing e.g.  -mhtml  macroset..

ahh yes you're not alone in requesting this kind of thing.
Werner has also requested that the -markup macro be
automatically invoked by -Thtml.

Werner writes:

> Another related problem: I can imagine that a lot of people start to
> write man pages with HTML output in mind also.  Nevertheless, it
> should be still possible to display such pages correctly with a plain
> text man pager.  As a consequence, such man pages should contain at
> the beginning something like

> .do mso tmac.arkup
sure I'll add it to troffrc.

However grohtml really needs -mhtml to be included at the end of
all included macrosets but before the main source. This is needed
for two reasons: (i) to turn off hyphernation; (ii) to turn off
all footers and headers for each macroset.

Currently these functions are achieved in tmac.html. However
it is not very user friendly.

Question for guru's Werner and Ted. One way to solve this is to
automatically conditionally #include the tmac.html
macroset at the end of every other macroset. This is a bit ugly,
is there a cleaner way? Does it get your blessing?

Something like:

   .if '\*(.T'html' \{\
   .  mso tmac.html
   .\}

Maybe a cleaner solution would be to have a troffrc.end
which is invoked at the end of all macrosets but before
user source.. anyone volunteer if Werner and Ted think
this is ok?

Other ideas/comments anyone?

Gaius