grammatica-users

[Grammatica-users] Feature request (more meaningful javadoc)

From: Yakov Keselman
Subject: [Grammatica-users] Feature request (more meaningful javadoc)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Per,

one feature I'd like to request (unless it has been
requested before) is a more meaningful javadoc to be
generated for production methods. Here is hopefully an
explanatory example.

Consider the following production (in your syntax):

PrimeMeridian = PRIMEM_K LEFT_PAREN Name "," Longitude
RIGHT_PAREN ;

PRIMEM_K, LEFT_PAREN, ",", and RIGHT_PAREN are all
terminals (atoms). Name and Longitude are
non-terminals. Currently generated stub for
exitPrimeMeridian is shown below.

    /**
     * Called when exiting a parse tree node.
     *
     * @param node           the node being exited
     *
     * @return the node to add to the parse tree, or
     *         null if no parse tree should be created
     *
     * @throws ParseException if the node analysis
discovered errors
     */
    protected Node exitPrimeMeridian(Production node)
        throws ParseException {

        return node;
    }

I think that it will be more useful to have something
like this (note the production included in javadoc and
numbering of its children):

    /**
     * Called when exiting a parse tree node.
     *
     * @param node           the node being exited
     *
     * PrimeMeridian = PRIMEM_K [0]  LEFT_PAREN [1]
Name [2]  "," [3]  Longitude [4]  RIGHT_PAREN [5] ;
     */
    protected Node exitPrimeMeridian(Production node)
throws ParseException {

        return node;
    }

Perhaps even more useful can be something of this
kind:

    protected Node exitPrimeMeridian( node primem_k,
node left_paren, node name, node comma, node
longitude, node right_paren ){ ... }

Would the first or the second suggestion be difficult
to implement? Has anyone else requested or thought
about this?

Thanks,

= Yakov

http://www.kinderspirit.org/yakovkeselman/

====

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.
-- Michel de Montaigne