gpsd-users

Re: Problems with gpsd under BullsEye

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Problems with gpsd under BullsEye
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:36:44 -0800

Yo Don!

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 14:24:44 -0500
Don Rolph <don.rolph@gmail.com> wrote:

> As to your comment:
>
> "> The gpsd 3.23.2 build environment is incompatible with the darlier
> > development code.
>
> Huh?  That would be news to me.  As part of gpsd CI, there are
> pipelines running a wide variety of tool chains."
>
> see error messages below:
>
> [ 54%] Linking C executable il2p_test
> /root/direwolf/src/dwgpsd.c:64:2: error: #error libgps API version
> might be incompatible.
>    64 | #error libgps API version might be incompatible.
>       |  ^~~~~

By design, clients need to run the exact same library version as the
daemon.  Because the structures that contain GNSS data keep getting
expanded as new data, from new messages, is handled by gpsd.  Few
clients need to know the exact gpsd version, only need to have matching
version.

I have no idea why someone would make that an error.  So that would
be their bug.

I found that code here:

https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/master/src/dwgpsd.c

Judging from the comments in the code, they kinda sorta understand
gpsd.  Looks like the complaints they have about gpsd version changes
are (almost) exactly what I had hoped for: to flush out broken client
code, like theirs.

The dev followed the common rule:
    Always easier to complain, than to understand, or ask for help.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588