gpsd-users

Re: Recommend a USB gps for Rpi

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Recommend a USB gps for Rpi
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 09:53:03 -0400

TarotApprentice <tarotapprentice@yahoo.com> writes:

> Can anyone on the list recommend a USB gps for the Raspberry Pi? My
> use case is for it to provide time services to a cluster so it doesn’t
> have to be super accurate. I currently have a u-blox 8 which works
> with gpsd but the time from it jumps all over the place.
> I am aware of the Adafruit Ultimate gps hat which is a bit
> pricey. It would need an external antenna as the Pi’s themselves don’t
> have clear access to the sky. My current one is in a skylight with a
> short USB extension lead to reach. The Adafruit hat costs $100 and
> another $30 for the antenna in Australia.

The u-blox 8 works well, generally.  It does not seem likely that
getting new hardware will lead to joy.

You have asserted that the time "jumps", but have not explained what
data leads you to that conclusion.

You should capture some length of data, at least a few hours, maybe 24,
with gpspipe, and feed it into gpsprof, and see what's going on.  Also
run xgps/cgps to see how many satellites are being received, CNR, etc.

You should also test your GPS receiver outdoors.

Greg

(As alawys, follow up on list, not to me directly. It would be rude of
me to quote private mail on the list, and I don't want to provide
offlist help as that doesn't help the next person.)