gpsd-users

Re: Using gpsd for logging

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Using gpsd for logging
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 10:13:20 -0400

Andreas B <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using a ublox 8 gps connected to (what will be) a _headless_
> Raspberry Pi (i.e. no screen). I want to be able to power up my raspi
> and be sure that it is _always_ logging the output of gpsd. Any
> recommendations, tips or tricks?
>
> I was thinking about something simple as:
> gpspipe -r > log.nmea

You said "_always_".   So probably you need something that starts gpsd,
and picks a new log file, and some kind of supervisor process (script,
invoked from cron) that restarts if necessary.  And then something that
evaluates if it is working, and posts some sort of notification, perhaps
nagios, perhaps mqtt status (with a liveness topic and a lwt to clear
that) and then something like home assistant.