gpsd-users

Re: RHEL

From: Miroslav Lichvar
Subject: Re: RHEL
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:18:08 +0100

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 12:13:04AM +0100, Fabian Affolter wrote:
> [1] https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2020-1fa79e271a

Please don't forget that gpsd has a library, which is used by other
applications. There are policies for making updates in stable releases
of Fedora and EPEL. Updates breaking the ABI/API must be avoided. It's
the downstream maintainer's responsibility to make sure of that.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_Updates_Policy

It would be nice if the epel8 branch followed the master branch. But
even for rawhide there are guidelines. We cannot just break other
packages and expect their maintainers to fix it. An announcement on
fedora-devel is in order. We need to give their maintainers/upstreams
time to support the new gpsd or help them with the patches.

The EPEL8 update probably will need to be dropped. You may want to
consider creating a copr repo instead.

--
Miroslav Lichvar