gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Where should I start from?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Where should I start from?
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 13:03:32 -0700

Yo raaj!

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 03:53:59 +0800
raaj lokanathan <address@hidden> wrote:

> I saw there’s one python application called ublxtool. We will use it
> to send the gnss configurations isn’t it?

That is one way to do it.  Also there is gpsctl.  gpsctl is more mature,
ubxtool is new.  ubxtool is only if you have a u-blox.

Once again: what is your GPS?

Once again: pretty hard to help you when you provide no details.

> Now if my manufacturer
> don’t have a soft driver, I assume I have to create one on my own
> right.

Maybe, maybe not.  You can always use the NMEA 0183.

> Then how about imputing the configuration to the gnss module?

Very rarely do you need to configure a GPS.

If you want to see why your the factory defaults are usually best,
then you need driver support for your GPS in gpsd.

> Do I have to create the same python application as ublxtool?

No.  Many ways to skin that cat.  You could do it like zerk or like
gpsctl.  Or some other way, like using u-center under Wine.  Many folks
just send a text file of GPS commands to the GPS, then start gpsd.

Configuration should be the last thing to worry about.  You need a
driver first.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588