gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] versioning. Was: Shared memory interface with gpsd rest

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] versioning. Was: Shared memory interface with gpsd restart results in no data for client
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:05:13 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:58:02 -0600
Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:

> That would be because someone bumped the version number when I wasn't
> looking. I'll do a quick update. Thanks.

Yup, some structures have new members, changing structure size.

> I see two problems here.
>
> * Aesthetic. This would require one or more tests for version number
> in the run time. My ancient embedded programming habits tell me the
>   fewer branches the better. None the less, do-able.

If you just use the client library, you do not need to check the
version number.  The library does, and should be in sync with the rest
of the install.

Except for major chsnges, the library just handles things.  If you
can compile agsinst the current library you are good to go.  Or, for
python, if the gps module loads and runs.

> * Library loading: How do I tell the library loader which version of
>   libgps I want? Or does the loader handle that for me?

Easy, you want the same version as installed.  No multilib for gpsd.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588