gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Shared memory interface with gpsd restart results in no

From: Michael Lum
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Shared memory interface with gpsd restart results in no data for client
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 15:09:31 -0700

For anyone interested I verified the following problems:
(I'm using C++)

1.  the static tick in shmexport.c does not work if gpsd is restarted (at least with a client attached to the shared memory)

I fixed this in my code by removing the static int tick and adding it to the shared memory segment and
having shm_update() using the value to set the bookends.

struct shmexport_t
{
    int tick;
    int bookend1;
    struct gps_data_t gpsdata;
    int bookend2;
};
shared->bookend2 = shared->tick++;

When the shared memory segment is created tick will be 0.
When gpsd restarts it will continue with the 'correct' tick value by using the one from
the existing shared memory segment.

2.  wrap around does not work (needs some more conditions in gps_shm_waiting())

This was my fix in gps_shm_waiting():

        if ((bookend1 == bookend2) &&
            ((bookend1 > PRIVATE(gpsdata)->tick) ||
                ((bookend1 < 0) && (PRIVATE(gpsdata)->tick >= 0))))
            newdata = true;
It assumes that if bookend1 is negative and the (private/client) tick is non-negative then
a wrap must have occurred.

3.  the 'tick' member needs to be zeroed after the malloc() call

My client code would cause gpsmm to go out of scope in the case of a gps_read()
error and then another one gets allocated and I restart my wait/read loop.

Occasionally after a gps_read() error the 'tick' value would be non-zero after the malloc().

In addition, I believe the memory malloc() for the privdata should be free'd in
gps_shm_close().  (Also for Dbus?)

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for help by Gary Miller.