gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 11:25:55 -0700

Yo David!

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 09:38:22 +0100
"David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the information.  I simply looked for sample code for
> using gpsd, and libgps-dev came up in Google, and it seems to work,
> so I'll stick with it.  I thought there was just one gpsd.

There is pretty much just one gpsd, but there are a lot of copies of
old versions and strangely patched versions.

> If the data was consistently an hour old it would show in the graphs,
> so I'll keep a look a look out for that.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Some data may be updating, while  other bits are
stale.

>  Would it be better if gpsd
> reported the current status when requested via its API,

It does.

> i.e. that the
> API should produce current, not historic status?

The API returns the latest data it has, nothing historic, just maybe old.
That is why it reports time of data so you can check for freshness.

> I'm not interested in positional accuracy, simply whether there might
> be any correlations between NTP reported offsets and poor satellite
> coverage.

Nope.

>  Most of my GPS antennas are indoors (but near walls or
> windows).  I found that the greatest enemy of "good" timekeeping was
> temperature variations, so having the Raspberry Pi in an upstairs,
> unheated cupboard produced the best results, even thought it's on a
> north-facing wall.

Yup.  Now add a temperature sensor, and have the RasPi control an
incadescent light bulb, and you can remove the temperature issues.

> There does seem to be a slight confusion here (likely due to my
> mailer not supporting ">" marks, sigh!)

"It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools."

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588