gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:48:01 -0700

Yo David!

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 07:43:58 +0100
"David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:

> "That is why you need to check that you actually got valid SKY data
> from your API call."
>
> Thanks, Gary.  How do I do that?  Does the API return a status value
> saying "valid SKY data"?

Have you read the www/client-howto.txt in the release source?  You need
to check the mask bits.  Like PACKET_SET.

Sample:

"Under the shared-memory interface, gps_read() after a successful
gps_open() will always return with data; its return is the size of a
struct gps_data_t in bytes. The 'gps_fd' member of the struct gpsdata
instance handed to you will always be -1.  The PACKET_SET flag will
always be asserted.  The other flag bits in the 'set' member will tell
you what data is updated in the instance, just as in the sockets
interface."

Also good to check the time stamp that comes with the data.  The basic
interface accumlates data, and does not delete it.  So if the time not
incrementing the data is old.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588