gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Antenna status U-BLOX

From: Federico Buti
Subject: [gpsd-users] Antenna status U-BLOX
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:15:35 +0100

Hi list.

As the title implies I'm interested in receiving updates on the antenna status from a EVA-M8 chip. For the purpose I've modified the u-blox driver - from the latest sources - according to the online manual. In particular I have activated the message UBX-MON-HW (0x0A 0x09), set the UBX-CFG-ANT (0x06 0x13) according to my hardware configuration and I've also added a dedicated struct to keep track of this additional information. In particular I collect two bytes from the UBX-MON-HW message: the status of the Antenna Supervisor (byte 20) and the current Antenna PowerStatus (byte 21).

The HW message is emitted, more or less every three PVT messages, and the data is correctly parsed.  The status and powerstatus bytes change from 0x01 0x02 (DONTKNOW, DONTKNOW) to 0x02, 0x01 (OK, OK), after a cold startup.

So far so good. Unfortunately it seems like the value does not change any more, after the first startup change. E.g. if I unplug the cable I expected to see changes in the values, instead the antenna messages still return the values for OK for both bytes, whereas I correctly stop receiving PVT messages. As soon as the cable is plugged back the PVT message are issued again, while the antenna status didn't change at all.

Does anyone has a clue about that? Does anyone has extracted this information? I'm afraid I'm missing something really trivial here but I'm not sure what that would be.

Thanks in advance,
F.