gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] access to UBX-CFG antenna status via gposd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] access to UBX-CFG antenna status via gposd
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 18:58:58 -0700

Yo tom!

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:15:58 +1000
tom <address@hidden> wrote:

> we are talking to a U-Blox 6S/6R via gpsd and i was wondering how i
> would go abouts in getting access to some of the UBlox specific data
> that gets reported via UBX-CFG (such as antenna state).

Right now gpsd mostly concerns itself with parsing the data that the
GPS periodically sends out on its own.  gpsd mostly wait
passively for whatever data it gets.

This would be something that needs to be requested.  When gpsd starts
up, it polls some GPS for some configuration data.  A request for
UBX-CFG could be added to the startup code.

I see that there is no specifi U X-CFG message, but a number of them:

    UBX-CFG-PRT
    UBX-CFG-USB
    UBX-CFG-MSG
    UBX-CFG-INF
    UBX-CFG-NAV5
    UBX-CFG-DAT
    UBX-CFG-RATE
    UBX-CFG-SBAS
    UBX-CFG-NMEA
    UBX-CFG-TMODE
    UBX-CFG-TP
    UBX-CFG-ANT

I assume you want UBX-CFG-ANT?  Looks like you send the CFG-ANT poll
and get back a CFG-ANT?

> Is there a generic way of accessing manufacturer specific binary data.

Sort of.  You can use gpsctl to send arbitrary data to the GPS, and
just look at the raw data back for the answer.  Then ading a UBX-CFG-ANT
decoder would be easy, just need to get the GPS to send it.

Sadly the gpsctl method is not well documented.  gosd needs to add a
lot of device specific instructions on how to use gpsctl.

> i understand that gpsd is supposed to add a 'generic' layer on top of
> these manufacturer specific implementations , but we do like the
> 'multiplexer' functionality of gpsd so we don't really want to move
> away from it, if possible.

You can mix and match looking at decoded and raw results.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588