gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 05:58:23 -0400

Jon Brase <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 01:51:28 -0500, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:

> >gpsmon /dev/ttyAMA0
> >
> >You should see a curses panel display that shows you both raw GPS
> >data and the results of data reduction on it.  Later, this tool
> >will be useful for checking that you can see the 1PPS signal from
> >your device.
>
> From this I take it you *are* able to get 1PPS from the hat with gpsd?

Not yet.  That's why I said "Later"; I'm assuming some sort of
configuration step will enable this.  Possibly this from the INSTALL
file provides the right clue:

    Second you need to tell the boot process to load the pps_gpio module
    and attach /dev/pps0 to GPIO pin 4.  Do that by adding this line
    to the bottom of /boot/config.txt: dtoverlay=pps-gpio,gpiopin=4

    Reboot and proceed as for any other operating system to use gpsd.

    Warning, the pps_gpio driver in all linux kernels up to the current
    3.19 only reports one edge.  Be sure to validate that your PPS signal
    is not offset by the pulse width.

    Detailed instructions are available from their web site:
    https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps-hat-for-raspberry-pi/

    You will need to dig deeper to make the PPS work, here is a good reference:
    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html

> I've been able to get it with ppstest, but not with gpsd.

Any joy with contrib/ppscheck?