gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Changing the GPS update rate with gpsd

From: Bo Berglund
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Changing the GPS update rate with gpsd
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 08:30:52 +0100

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 18:44:39 -0700, Deven Hickingbotham
<address@hidden> wrote:

>On 3/16/2016 5:39 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>> Since debian is shipping version 3.11, and gpsd is at 3.16, we do not
>> recommend using the Debian binary.
>
>When I try to build gpds 3.16 I get the error below.  I'm using the
>2/26/16 image found here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

>compilation terminated.
>scons: *** [gpsclient-py_2_7_9_final_0.so] Error 1
>scons: building terminated because of errors.

FWIW I did a successful RPi3 Raspbian Jessie build from sources as
follows (from ny notes):

Install GPSD from sources

A) Get the sources from GIT.
----------------------------
wget
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gpsd.git/snapshot/release-3.16.tar.gz

Unpack the content into a directory like:
~/prog/gpsd/3.16

B) Install build requirements
-----------------------------
Needed to build the binaries:
sudo apt-get install python-dev libncurses5-dev

Man page generation requirements (big install!):
sudo apt-get install libxlt1-dev docbook-xsl xmlto asciidoc

C) Change dir to the source dir and build
Build by issuing this command:

scons && scons check && sudo scons udev-install

If it succeeds then
gpsd and gpsdctl will be installed here:
 /usr/local/sbin/

The other clients and utilities will be installed here:
 /usr/local/bin/

These are:
cgps, gps2udp, gpsctl, gpsdecode, gpsmon, gpspipe, gpxlogger, lcdgps,
ntpshmmon

Other utilities that are not built but simply copied from the
distribution source tarball are:
gegps, gpscat, gpsfake, gpsprof, xgps, xgpsspeed

Man pages will also work.

HTH

--
Bo Berglund