gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] gpsd & pharos igps-bt

From: Johann Beretta
Subject: [gpsd-users] gpsd & pharos igps-bt
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 15:57:33 -0700

Hello all,

I am having a similar issue to the one described in a previous post to
this list

http://marc.info/?l=gpsd-users&m=118574132317307&w=2

I have a pharos igps-bt that I had working in NEMA mode. I could run a
$cat /dev/rfcomm0 and get NEMA output in human readable form.

I installed gpsd and started it up and it switched my gps device to
binary mode.

cat /dev/rfcomm0 now ouputs binary gibberish.

In the previous post the user was able to use a windows program called
sirfdemo to get the device back to nema (and if I could do that I now
know to run gpsd with the -d switch, but that's hindsight)

Anyhow, unless I am missing something, sirfdemo is a windows only
program and I don't have a native copy of windows. (I've got XP in a
VirtualBox setup but sirfdemo doesn't seem to be doing the trick through
it, even with the serial port mapped to /dev/rfcomm0). Is there a
command line tool (or even a gui one) for linux that I can use to get my
pharos back to nema output?

I've done my due diligence on searching for a solution, but after about
8 hours I haven't found anything relevant.

I'm hoping someone on this list can give me a hand.