gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Python client bindings

From: Stoyan Haralampiev
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Python client bindings
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:54:28 +0300

Thanks for the hint, Eric!

And now on the issues I found in gps.py that I mentioned. They're about variables that get initialized but never updated:
1) (line 106) self.status = STATUS_NO_FIX
2) (line 110) self.xdop = self.ydop = self.vdop = self.tdop = 0
         self.pdop = self.hdop = self.gdop = 0.0

I remember I had some other issue but I don't remember it right now. Basically the above ones made me quite suspicious as to the quality of the python bindings and hence my question in the first email.

Thanks and let me know if you need more details.

Cheers,
Tony

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Stoyan Haralampiev <address@hidden>:
> I'll prepare a list of the problems I noticed and will send it to you.
> Meanwhile I decided to go collect raw NMEA output from the GPS and use an
> NMEA parser offline to get useful data out of the log.

This is not a good idea!  Any offline NMEA parser other than GPSD's,
whatever it is, is fairly likely to break in some obscure way if you
change receivers.  NMEA 0183 is a weak standard; getting the whole
range of allegedly-NMEA devices right is *hard*.  Bypassing GPSD's
parsing stage, whixch has been pre-tested on a wide range of devices,
is asking for trouble.

> Do you have some kind of offline API in gpsd for looking at a NMEA log file
> instead of a live GPS connection? Do you think I'll miss something
> important if I go this way instead of using GPSD for receiving GPS data?

Look at gpsdecode(1).  I don't think you'll miss anything.