gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Recommended GPS model for timekeeping?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Recommended GPS model for timekeeping?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:00:31 -0700

Yo Sidney!

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:52:06 +0200
Sidney Cadot <address@hidden> wrote:

> First, I'd like to understand if is it true that the most up-to-date
> GPSd documentation resides on the 'www.catb.org' adress rather than
> the old Berlios server?

Ignore the gpsd.berlios.de.  That site is obsolete.

> The Berlios page lists a great number of devices in a big table.
> However, this table isn't available on the CATB server. (Is this
> intentional?)

Nope.  ESR prolly needs to fix taht.

> For my project, I'd love to have a receiver with the following
> properties:
>
> - preferably, an RS-232 interface with PPS wired on any of the
> interruptable signals;

Since you need 1 milli Second you NEED RS-232.  USB will not do it, unless
you get a prototype USB device.

> - no soldering required (i.e., for rerouting the PPS)

Duct tape works fine too.  Otherwise I know of no off the shelf solution.

> - widely available, easy to buy

Lots of those.

> - not excessive in cost, which precludes top-shelf professional
> equipment;  but I'm not necessarily looking for the absolutely lowest
> possible cost. Anything up to about 100 Euros (about 130 USD) or even
> a bit beyond that would be quite acceptable.

Under USD $60 easy enough.

> If any of you has recommendations for a good receiver with those
> properties I would be thankful if you could share.

I use these:

http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-58-mr-350p-bulkhead.aspx

Works indoors.  Available for USD $60 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Globalsat-Waterproof-External-Receiver-without/dp/B001ENYWJC?tag=duckduckgo-d-20

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588