gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPS fix last to long

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPS fix last to long
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:40:16 -0700

Yo Tomalak!

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 21:10:18 +0100
"Tomalak Geret'kal" <address@hidden> wrote:

> While your intent is noble, 2.95 is not *that* old and out
> in the real world where gpsd may be used via interface with
> proprietary codebases and where (right or wrong) there is
> insufficient top-down support for devoting time to support
> updates, your "commandment" rings a little flat. I was
> fortunate to have enough clout to drive an upgrade to 3.x,
> but given that 3.0 wasn't even released a year ago, I
> imagine I'm quite in the minority outside of academic circles.

Yes, 3.0 is not that old, but the older gpsd interface had been
deprecated for much longer than that.  Any distro that can't work with a
several year warning has problems of their own making.

No point taking patches for things that are already patched and fixed in
later revs, we are not as big as the Linux kernel where we can support
multiple forks.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588