gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] setting/gettin almanac data trough gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] setting/gettin almanac data trough gpsd
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:33:03 -0700

Yo Matthias!

On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:36:41 +0200
Matthias Goldhoorn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there currently a way to download and update the almanac and
> ephemeris data?

gpsd does not currently support this.  Some GPS support it, using
proprietary commands, but most do not.

Any implementation will be very device specific.

> I plan to integrate it the GPS deamon to our new
> www.rock-robotics.org framework. But we currently use some slow
> and-not-so-nice GPS modules from antenova. these work more or less,
> but the are VERY slow for the first sync. I played around with the
> sirfdemo application for windows, and if i download and upload these
> information after an reboot i gain about an our.

Have you considered using a small battery on your GPS module so it
will not lose its almanac on reboot?

> So is there any implementation available or planned?.

Nope.  We see GPS that require this as akin to WinModems.  Just not
worth the pain to support just to save a few pennies.

If your GPS allows you to download the current almanac as a binary blob,
they you can do that and upload it back to the GPS after reboot.

If that is not an option, some vendors allow you to download an almanac
from them as a banary blob and upload it to the GPS.

Either way this will be very GPS model specific.  Probably easiest to do
as a standalone program outside of gpsd.  If you get it to work in gpsd
please send patches, but you will be better off to just find a GPS that
does not have those problems.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588