gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] gpsd PPS not working on Ubuntu 12.04 (and fix found)

From: Bert Broekhuizen
Subject: [gpsd-users] gpsd PPS not working on Ubuntu 12.04 (and fix found)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:47:31 -0700 (PDT)

Initially I installed gpsd on my Ubuntu PC when it had Ubuntu 11.10.
It worked immediately with my Garmin GPS18x LVC, providing timestamps and PPS
info to ntpd.

Today I upgraded the PC to Ubuntu 12.04. After a while I noticed that ntpd
didn't get PPS info anymore.
After some debugging, I discovered that gpsd does get PPS signals until it
starts cycling through baud rates.
That made me think of the "ioctl(TIOCMIWAIT) hangs after tcsetattr()" bug
listed here:
http://catb.org/gpsd/upstream-bugs.html#tiocmwait
Lo and behold, setting my serial port to 38400 bps using stty fixed the problem.
Ubuntu 12.04 uses Linux kernel 3.2.0 and gpsd 3.4.