gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd quickfix

From: lapaleves
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd quickfix
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 18:14:28 +0200

Dear Tom,

Thanks for your answer. I'm not very familiar with the subject, but I'm afraid we are not talking about the same. This is definetly not the carrier-assisted GPS (A-GPS). It needs network though, to sync time with an ntp server.

To prove that I just tried it in airplane mode, with my WLAN connected. I got a fix with 5 sats in less than a minute. Without WLAN it's the same as before. Being registered at a carrier does not make a difference.

As I wrote this is about knowing the time very precisely, and based on that knowing the exact position of the sats immediately. In Windows handheld platforms this feature is called "quickGPS".

lapa